Tuesday, June 15, 2010

I'm ba-a-a-a-ck (sort of)


Yes, I’ve been away for a few weeks, doing something besides genealogy, if you can believe it. You've probably read of my travails trying to get the workroom cleaned up, which meant dealing with family photos, among other things. (I took a trip, too.) The attached picture is one of many I unearthed. It shows me with my parents and an aunt, at our Mojave Desert (California) property in about 1936. Love those automobiles!

**********

Here are a couple of stories that caught my eye before the hiatus, and might intrigue you as well.

“Obsessively seeking original occupant” -- a New York Times article which appeared in the Real Estate section on May 9. The new tenant was fascinated with the idea of finding out more about who first lived in this West 90th St apartment after it was built in 1910. His research, and a lucky find behind an old cupboard, helped.

“Sculptor’s unique grave markers honor deceased” -- Sigrid Herr creates unique bronze grave markers. “What you’re saying is, ‘I was here. I matter.’ And you’re saying that to the other people: ‘You were here, and you matter.’ ” San Francisco Chronicle, 3 May, 2010.

To read either story in full, go to Google and enter the selected headline as shown above, including quotation marks.

I hope to be back on track shortly, with more stories and ideas about genealogy-related matters. (I consider getting rid of the clutter a related matter, because if there's a mess I can't work on genealogy!)

No comments: